UPDATE: Thief Neck Island Prescribed Burn – Tuesday March 8th
The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA), with assistance from the Tennessee Division of Forestry, are planning to conduct a prescribed burn on a portion of Thief Neck Island between late February and early-March. The prescribed burn is a component of a multi-step plan to improve wildlife habitat on the island. This work supports TVA’s mission of responsible stewardship and aligns with the Forest Resource Management goals of the Natural Resource Plan.Please call TVA’s Public Land Information Center at (800) 882-5263 for more information.
- Currently the island has the same basic tree composition across the land providing limited diversity.
- Burning of the island will promote browse growth and different species composition which enhances wildlife habitat.
- TVA and TWRA are planning to assess the forestry conditions at least yearly and depending on the results, possibly burn the area every other year.
- For the efforts this February or March, Tennessee Forestry Division will obtain all required permits.
- Prescribed burns are conducted with specific weather and wind conditions in order to achieve burn objectives, which is why a window of dates (late February and early-March) is being announced.